You likely know what the normal noises are that your air conditioner makes while it is running. Sounds like the whoosh of air through your ducts and even some movement from the ducts themselves when they expand or contract are all probably normal. But when your AC begins to create new sounds, then it may be time to pay closer attention.
A noisy AC may be a system that needs repairs. And if that is the case, the sooner a technician arrives to address the problem the better off things will be. But what sounds are we talking about? We are happy to tell you below so you know exactly when to call us for repairs.
These 5 Sounds That Indicate AC Problems
If you hear any of the following sounds coming from your cooling system, it is worthwhile to talk to our technicians about scheduling an air conditioner repair in Conyers.
- Rattling: When your air conditioner turns on, you may have noticed that it sounds as though something in the system is shaking. This rattling noise is often caused by loose parts in it, such as bolts, screws, or even a loose blower door. While loose parts may not seem like an issue to start with they can escalate into a bigger problem if not addressed in a timely manner.
- Hissing: Don’t mistake hissing for the sound of the desired air whooshing through the system–they aren’t the same. Hissing may indicate that you have a clogged air filter that is hindering airflow in your system. It could also mean you have a leak in your ducts (if you have those) or in your refrigerant line. Check that filter and, if changing it doesn’t solve the issue, talk to a professional technician.
- Bubbling: Does it sound like your AC is brewing something up? That’s not normal! At the least, you may have a clogged condensate drain that is creating a bubbling or gurgling noise. On the other hand, bubbling may be another indicator of a refrigerant line leak. Make sure to get a bubbling AC checked out ASAP.
- Screeching: This is a highly unpleasant sound which makes it pretty easy to believe it indicates an AC in trouble. Screeching is that distinctly sharp sound that is made when metal hits or scrapes against metal. Perhaps it is caused by a loose fan blade swiping against its housing or perhaps it is due to a dried-out blower motor belt. Whatever the cause, we’re sure you’d agree when we advise that you get a screeching AC seen to quickly.
- Clanging: Lastly, make sure to have a technician check your AC if it has started to make a clanging noise. As you can probably guess this sound is created by debris that is bouncing around inside of your air conditioner and causing additional problems. Bolts, screws, or even rocks in your outdoor unit may create a clanging noise.
When you hear something strange going on with your air conditioner, it means now is the time to talk to a technician.
Contact Premier Heating & Air to schedule your AC repairs and Experience the Premier Difference! We have proudly served South Metro Atlanta since 2001.