The best regular maintenance for an air conditioner will prevent the majority of repair problems during its service life. That’s why we encourage all our customers to sign up for our Energy Savings Agreement.
But nothing can prevent all air conditioning malfunctions. Even the best system with the finest maintenance may end up needing repairs during its service life. The best way to alleviate these repairs is to catch them early—before they start to have a huge impact on your home cooling. The sooner you call for a repair, the easier and less expensive the repair will likely be.
The Warning Signs to Look For
Below is a list of the more common warning signs of an air conditioner that needs professional repair attention.
- Odd Noises/Too Much Noise: An air conditioner has a set of sounds it makes as it runs, and you’ll be used to hearing them. When a weird sound—like grinding, hissing, or clanking—starts coming from the cabinets or vents, or the AC is making too much noise, there’s probably something amiss with it.
- Uneven Cooling: You may feel comfortable in some rooms of the house, but others are turning up hotter than normal, or maybe they’re too cold. This uneven cooling can point to many different troubles with the AC that will require a technician to diagnose.
- High Utility Bills: You expect to see higher electrical costs during the summer because of the air conditioner. But if your most recent bill seemed far higher than normal, it can indicate the AC has a malfunction that is making it work harder than it should.
- Humidity Increase: A shift in the humidity levels in your home, either too humid or too dry, often warns that the air conditioner is malfunctioning.
- Short Cycling: This is when the compressor of the AC starts and stops over and over without staying on long enough (15 mins) to complete a full cooling cycle. This could be a potentially serious problem, so have technicians check on it.
- Ice on the Evaporator Coil: You should never see ice anywhere on your AC. When the evaporator coil starts to freeze over, it may mean leaking refrigerant, dirt along the coils, or some other problem. Don’t ignore this!
- Low Airflow: Does the air coming from the room vents feel sluggish and weak compared to what it normally is? This can point toward trouble with the blower assembly, the compressor, or the ductwork.
- AC Trips the Circuit Breaker: If the air conditioner routinely causes its circuit breaker to trip so you have to reset it, have technicians look into the problem.
- Acrid Odors from the Vents: The smell of electrical burning from the vents often warns that one of the AC motors is burning out and needs to be replaced.
You can trust our EPA-certified technicians to handle any air conditioning repair in Conyers, GA. We offer guaranteed same-day service. If you haven’t scheduled your AC maintenance yet, make sure to get on the schedule so you’ll have fewer worries about summer repairs.
Experience the Premier Difference! Premier Heating & Air serves South Metro Atlanta.